- By Todd Luck
- Posted Tuesday, March 23, 2021
Vacant volunteer position on Firefighters Relief Fund Board
An open appointment to the Firefighters Relief Fund Board of Trustees has been posted to fill a vacancy on the board. Applications can be submitted at https://forsyth.cc/Commissioners/volunteer_opportunities.aspx and will be accepted through April 20, 2021.
The firefighters Relief Fund is based on a state tax that is applied to all premiums written on fire and lightning insurance policies covering property located within specific fire districts. These funds can be used to:
- Safeguard firefighters from financial loss caused by sickness or injury contracted while in the performance of duties as a firefighter.
- Provide reasonable support for dependants of firefighters that are killed in the line of duty.
- Provide assistance to a destitute firefighter.
- Provide assistance to a firefighter to pay insurance dues.
- Provide supplemental retirement, workers compensation and other insurance and pension protection for firefighters.
- Provide educational benefits to firefighters and their dependants.
The primary purpose of the board is to determine investment strategies for the fund and disbursements from the fund. The board meets at least once year "as needed."